Submit Blog  RSS Feeds

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Laptop screen backlight brightness adjustment

Well I have to admit that not all of my Asus UL80V function keys work on Linux. Among them are the brightness adjustment buttons. Well it's not a problem to adjust the brightness on linux anyway, I remember there was a possibility to set it manually in:

/proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

Sadly I failed to find the file on my current distribution (Mint 13 / Maya, based on Ubuntu 12). I made some research and searching and managed to locate another file responsible for the backlight brightness setting:

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

The brightness may be set the following way:

sudo echo "15" > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness 

This works, but is a little bit inconvenient. Now I need to find a way do bind this with the brightness increase/decrease buttons, which may be tricky since they don't appear in /dev/input/ events (or at least I haven't found a suitable event yet).

Cheers!
KR 

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters