Submit Blog  RSS Feeds

Monday, March 26, 2012

iPod music recovery based on ID3 tags

I'm not really a fan of 'Apple stuff', but a few years ago I acquired an iPod (5G). The process of uploading music files using iTunes wasn't exactly pleasant, but eventually the music was stored on the device.

The problem I would like to mention occurred when I unrecoverably lost all music from my hard drive. I was disappointed, but hey! I had a backup on my iPod...

When I scanned the device for mp3 files I discovered, that the file names have not been preserved in the upload process:

~ find  [ipod mount point] | grep mp3$

(...)
./iPod_Control/Music/F47/DCAH.mp3
./iPod_Control/Music/F47/IJVI.mp3
./iPod_Control/Music/F47/RNSC.mp3
./iPod_Control/Music/F48/LWBP.mp3
./iPod_Control/Music/F48/PRRP.mp3
./iPod_Control/Music/F48/SSCN.mp3
(...)

As it occurred later, iTunes does not support fetching the music back from the iPod, if one wants to do it he has to purchase 3rd-party applications. Since I was a student I did not intend to pay for it... so I wrote my own peace of software that helped me out. I came upon this code lately and decided to share it.

The cleaned and lately tuned version is available at:
https://github.com/krosinski/pypodrecovery


I don't claim it is going to work with every iPod there is, but the general approach should prove usable.






No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters